Yes, this appears to be deliberate upstream behavior and I'm not sure we
should revert that.  Marking incomplete, if there is further info please
share.

** Tags removed: foundations-triage-discuss

** Changed in: libcap2 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libcap2 in Ubuntu.

  Default capability of cap_setfcap+i should be set on setcap

Status in libcap2 package in Ubuntu:

  If I grant a user (via pam_cap) cap_setfcap+i, I would then expect
  them to be able to use setcap without sudo. setcap is not provided
  with any default file capabilities however, so either the user has to
  sudo, or I have to grant the setfcap capability to setcap with setcap.

  In my mind, it would be reasonable to grant setfcap+i to setcap by
  default on installation.