@jbicha
After installation, it was fine. It's just that in the process of trying to
clean up leftover packages years later, I did something like:

# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-mark auto '*'
# apt-mark manual ubuntu-minimal
# apt-mark manual ubuntu-desktop-minimal
# apt-mark manual linux-generic
...same for some other packages I actively used...
# apt-get autopurge

After these steps, the system was left in an unbootable state because in
the "autopurge" / autoremove stage, cryptsetup was uninstalled, hence it
was missing from the new initrd.

I don't know if this is an "intended use case" for the ubuntu-* metapackages,
but apart from cryptsetup (and lvm2 which I suspected is needed so I
fortunately marked it as manual), every other package that's needed for a
functioning system is actually Depended / Recommended by the combination of
ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-desktop-minimal.

(Only other exception being the kernel package but I understand the
reasoning behind that.)

** Changed in: ubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-desktop-minimal should depend on cryptsetup, lvm2

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  The meta-packages ubuntu-desktop-minimal / ubuntu-minimal depend on
  everything needed for a functioning desktop / server installation
  respectively. Well, almost everything.

  Two packages that they don't depend on, but should, or at least it should
recommend them are:
  - cryptsetup
  - lvm2

  The reason is that if Ubuntu was installed with disk encryption and/or
  LVM turned on, these packages are essential. The system won't even
  boot without cryptsetup, for example (found this out the hard way).

  The release of Ubuntu you are using: 22.10
  The version of the package you are using: ubuntu-desktop-minimal 1.497