Just a follow up, I'm getting the same issue on Ubuntu 22.10 as well.  I
reimaged the server from scratch and tried to install the following,
which had the same issue:

apt -y install db-util db5.3-util krb5-admin-server krb5-config krb5-kdc
krb5-kdc-ldap krb5-user ldap-utils libgssrpc4 libkadm5clnt-mit12
libkadm5srv-mit12 libkdb5-10 libltdl7 libodbc2 libsasl2-modules-gssapi-
mit libverto-libevent1 libverto1 sasl2-bin schema2ldif slapd

None of those should cause a conflict.  I did a "dpkg-reconfigure" on
all of them, and the only one with an issue is krb5-kdc, and on 22.10
the error is a slightly different line, "Could not execute systemctl:
at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 145."  That's line 145 instead of
142, seems like it's that systemd-invoke line, is there a way for me to
get additional debug from that command?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to init-system-helpers in

  Cannot configure krb5-kdc on Ubuntu Jammy 22.04.01, "Could not execute
  systemctl:  at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 142."

Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu:

  I have a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 22.04.01 LTS.  After
  installing the server and running all updates, I run the following
  command:

  apt -y install slapd ldap-utils schema2ldif sasl2-bin
  libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit krb5-kdc-ldap krb5-admin-server krb5-kdc

  This will be installing krb5-kdc 1.19.2-2.

  This is in preparation for setting up an OpenLDAP server, a Kerberos
  server with an LDAP backend, and saslauthd for pass-through
  authentication.  krb5-kdc was auto-selected when running the steps in
  the guide here in my development environment:
  https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/service-kerberos-with-openldap-backend
  When installing that, I get the following in the output:

  Setting up krb5-kdc (1.19.2-2) ...
  Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/krb5-kdc.service
→ /lib/systemd/system/krb5-kdc.service.
  Could not execute systemctl:  at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 142.

  I do get the prompts for the realm, kdc, and admin server hostnames,
  and they are reflected in /etc/krb5.conf.  If I then run the
  following:

  dpkg-reconfigure krb5-kdc

  I am prompted for whether I want the package to create the Kerberos
  KDC configuration automatically, and when I say yes, it then repeats
  the following error:

  Could not execute systemctl:  at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 142.

  I cannot find any further debug in the syslog or anything to indicate
  what the root cause is; the list of packages here are all installed
  together on a separate development server where I experimented with
  the configuration I will be deploying here in production so I don't
  think it's incompatible packages in the install list, but I am open to
  feedback on that.