Thanks for the bug report.

It looks like this is probably a bug in the nouveau graphics driver, and
most likely the HDMI port is connected to your Nvidia GPU. The nouveau
driver is also logging errors which may or may not be related to this
bug.

Please open the 'Additional Drivers' app and use it to install an
official Nvidia driver instead.

** Tags added: amdgpu dualgpu hybrid nouveau

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- Terribly flicking and blicking HDMI-port display
+ [nouveau] Terribly flicking and blicking HDMI-port display

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  [nouveau] Terribly flicking and blicking HDMI-port display

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,
  I have HP15 Gaming Pavilion bought 2-3 years ago.
  I had Windows 10 before (not it is the second OS due to this bug [I can't use
Ubuntu with this bug]), and Win 10 has no problems.
  No solution [that I found over the internet] worked.
  I have to have at least two displays.
  My connection technology:
  PC HDMI output -> HDMI-VGA(+audio) transmitter -> LED 20' Display (external
monitor)
  Win 10 have never had any problems with it (it has good drivers).
  When I add any input to the second screen - it blinks and flickers so
terrible that I can see nothing - a white screen problem. If I do nothing - it
will turn to some picture in some time, but if I make any action at the second
monitor - flickering and the white screen problem appears again.
  I think these are drivers. I tested the equipment in Win 10 after I found
this bug - and it works perfectly (so, the hardware is good).
  It is a typical notebook and this bug is crucial. I use two monitors to type
codes and work on PC. I can't survive with just one monitor.
  Right now when I am typing you this message the second monitor became white
again for quite a long time (I did nothing there).
  I hope you will be able to fix this bug :)
  Best wishes,
  Alex,
  Prague, Czech Republic, EU

  PS: When typing this message I found another bug compared to MS Windows.
  When making screenshots (Alt/Shift + Print Screen) - it makes perfect picture
even when you actually have the second monitor white all the time (so the
screenshot is not how it is).
  I made an actual photo (and deleted some parts of the background not related
to the monitors/computer). You can see a white screen, but the screenshot shows
a "perfect world" with a perfect picture which is not how it is on the screen.
  Windows, on the contrary, makes actual screenshots. And Win 10 test of this
monitor never have this white screen or any other monitor problems.
  Moreover, when the monitors stops to be white for a second it depicts
different picture (more terrible image; it is disproportional, with font
heavily readable, but the screenshot functions shows an "ideal world" a user
can never see :)

  I made this detailed description to help Ubuntu. I think the project
  is great in concept, but poor in realization. Such bugs make it
  impossible for users to use Ubuntu (who can work on just one monitor?
  Who do not wish to make screenshots with what he/she actually sees on
  the monitor [rather than modified images with the pictures users do
  not actually see]?).

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+23ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.3
  Architecture: amd64
  BootLog: Error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/boot.log'
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CompositorRunning: None
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME