Jammy's rsync (3.2.7) has --trust-sender that's described as: "trust the remote
sender's file list"
However that won't be of much help as that's not available in older releases :/

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to rsync in Ubuntu.

  Upgrade to 3.1.3-8ubuntu0.5 causing sync errors

Status in rsync package in Ubuntu:

  Hi

  Several systems running Ubuntu 20.04 upgraded their rsync package from
  3.1.3-8ubuntu0.4 to 3.1.3-8ubuntu0.5 overnight.

  Automated syncs that connect to a 16.04 ESM server are now failing
  with:

  receiving file list ...
  ERROR: rejecting unrequested file-list name: [redacted]
  rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at flist.c(916)
[Receiver=3.1.3]

  Reverting to the previous release (3.1.3-8ubuntu0.4) on the client
  side solves the problem.

  This has been seen on multiple servers running 20.04 on amd64, I'll
  update this bug with details if we find it on other series too.

  The 16.04 ESM server being connected to is using the rsync package
  version 3.1.1-3ubuntu1.3+esm2, so no recent upgrades on that end.