The verification of the Stable Release Update for apparmor has completed
successfully and the package is now being released to -updates.
Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being
unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report.  In
the event that you encounter a regression using the package from
-updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report
regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  Add posix message queue IPC mediation

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in apparmor source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in apparmor source package in Jammy:

  [ Impact ]

  We need to add IPC mediation support in the userspace tools, starting with
posix message queue.
  This would improve security and lower the attack surface for applications
  There is already a proposal upstream:
  https://gitlab.com/apparmor/apparmor/-/merge_requests/858

  [ Test Plan ]

  In the merge request in the description there are several tests added.
  There are parser tests that can be run with "make -C parser check" in the
project source tree.
  There are also tests for the python tools that can be run ith "make -C utils
check" in the project source tree.
  There are also regression tests in tests/regression/apparmor. They run with
the whole test suite when you run with "sudo make tests", but they can also be
run individually with "sudo ./posix_mq.sh"

  [ Where problems could occur ]

  There could be problems related to Bug 1728130, where a policy was developed
for a set of rules supported by a specific kernel, and if new mediation is
available on newer kernels, then there will be some denied rules. Therefore we
need to also prevent that from happening. This is already available in
apparmor-3.+, but for older versions could be done by backporting the abi
patches from
  apparmor-3.0.