This comment is a guess, and I may be completely wrong, but I wonder if
this happens in Ubuntu on Xorg only. If so, it may be related to the
fact that ibus wasn't always automatically enabled at the start of the
session.

That issue was fixed in 22.04 via bug #2007379. So, @nix, it would be
interesting to know if the issue is still present after you have
upgraded the im-config package to version 0.50-2ubuntu22.04.1.

** Also affects: im-config (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: im-config (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  Mouse keys fails to work after a restart

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  Regarding the "Mouse Keys" feature in Ubuntu:

  The "Mouse Keys" feature's purpose is to simulate the mouse by using the
numpad of the keyboard.
  For example, a click on the left mouse button is simulated by clicking the
number "5" on the numpad of the keyboard.

  This is explained in the following Ubuntu Help page:
  https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/mouse-mousekeys.html.en

  You can see that this feature is enabled in my system - in the
  attached picture "MouseKeys.png".

  I noticed that if that Mouse keys option is enabled, then after a
  restart - the feature fails to work, despite that the GUI shows that
  the feature is enabled.

  In order to make the feature to work after a restart, first I need to
  disable the Mouse Keys feature (the GUI shows that the feature is
  enabled) and then I need to enable it.

  Probably this bug is related to either of the following packages:
  "gnome-control-center"
  or
  "xkb-data"

  Details about the system:

  Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

  gnome-control-center/jammy-updates,now 1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.5

  xkb-data/jammy,jammy,now 2.33-1 all