Of your suggestions, I like #1 the most; a reboot is usually a good idea
*anyway*, since there's always kernel updates to install, but I'd hold
off rebooting until you get the machine back into a happy state.

Try:

sudo kill  1224036
sudo apt install -f

You might also need:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Thanks

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  package libssl3:amd64 3.0.2-0ubuntu1.8 failed to install/upgrade:
  installed libssl3:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess
  returned error exit status 1

Status in needrestart package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:

  encounter error when attempting to do sudo update, upgrade, and full-
  upgrade

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
  Package: libssl3:amd64 3.0.2-0ubuntu1.8
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  Date: Wed Mar  1 10:28:26 2023
  ErrorMessage: installed libssl3:amd64 package post-installation script
subprocess returned error exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220419)
  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.10, Python 3.10.6, python3-minimal,
3.10.6-1~22.04
  PythonDetails: N/A
  RebootRequiredPkgs: Error: path contained symlinks.
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.21.1ubuntu2.1
   apt  2.4.8
  SourcePackage: openssl
  Title: package libssl3:amd64 3.0.2-0ubuntu1.8 failed to install/upgrade: