I was finally able to get the browser approach to work (advice: there is
a little slider at the very top of the gnome-extensions-app GUI that you
have to click to get the extensions to activate, or else you begin to
lose your mind thinking that you have to install it manually from source
because clicking on the slider next to Appindicator and
KStatusNotifierItem wasn't doing anything when I clicked it).

I find that the CPU usage has improved. When I am running indicator-
multiload in the top right corner (i.e. in the gnome status bar) I find
that gnome-terminal takes up 7% of one of my cpu cores (and this drops
to less than a percent when I turn off indicator-multiload). Earlier on
2022-03-01 I wrote that gnome-terminal was taking up 30% when I was
running indicator-multiload (and of course it dropped to zero when I
killed indicator-multiload)

So fixed version 53 is definitely an improvement (thanks!). I am not
sure if the bug can be declared to be squashed but this is much better
than it was.

Again I am using Ubuntu 20.04 which uses Gnome 3.36.8 by default.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libindicator in Ubuntu.

  CPU usage increases dramatically (and visible stuttering) when running
  indicator-multiload

Status in libindicator:
  Fix Committed
Status in The Ubuntu Power Consumption Project:
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in indicator-multiload package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libindicator package in Ubuntu:

  using 0.1-0~5~natty1 on mostly up to date natty system, when running
  the indicator-multiload with with just cpu monitor and the default
  update interval of 500 milliseconds, I see (via top) that compiz usage
  when generally idle goes from either 0 or 1% of CPU to 3 or 4% of CPU.
  Reducing the update interval does seem to have an affect.

  I realize that
  a.) top is not scientific
  b.) there could be something I'm missing here
  c.) saying "300%" (in the subject) is not scientific