Please re-open if this is still an issue in newer releases.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  limits.conf not applied

Status in jackd2 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Since upgraded to 16.10 Yakkety, modifications in
  /etc/security/limits.conf are not taken into consideration when
  logging in the graphical interface.

  /etc/security/limits.conf:
  @audio   -  rtprio     99
  @audio   -  memlock    unlimited

  I tried the same settings in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, to the
  same results.

  After logging in Unity, opening a console, the limits are not set:
  blablack@ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
  max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
  real-time priority              (-r) 0

  Reloging to my user via bash DOES apply the limits:
  blablack@ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
  max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
  real-time priority              (-r) 0
  blablack@ideaon:~$ su blablack
  Password:
  blablack@ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
  max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
  real-time priority              (-r) 95

  Switching to a console (ctrl+alt+f1) and logging in would apply the limits as
well.

  The exact same setup used to work fine on Xenial 16.04 before upgrade.

  If you need any more information, please let me know.

  Package: lightdm 1.19.4-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-16.17-generic 4.8.0-rc7
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-16-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity