>I don't know all the vagaries of the package versioning but it seems my
apt isn't finding the latest libpulse-dev or something.

Yes, exactly :) If we do a little comparison here:
~$ apt policy libpulse-dev libpulse0
libpulse-dev:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1
  Version table:
     1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 500
        500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64
Packages
     1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
libpulse0:
  Installed: 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1
  Candidate: 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1
  Version table:
 *** 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 500
        500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages

I reckon installed version is  pretty straight-forward. Candidate is
picking the latest version from the table below, in other words if I
install this package this is the version I would get. In this case we
have the ubuntu1 version from jammy/main which is the unchanged version
from the time 22.04 was released. And then we get the ubuntu2.1 version
in jammy/updates with a newer version number made after the initial
release. There's jammy/updates as well as jammy/security and other third
party repos like the postgres one and it will resolve these to pick the
candidate.

So like you correctly said, you have the ubuntu2.1 version for some of
the packages but when you try to install more they only know about the
ubuntu1 versions. And since the packages should stay consistent a
conflict occurs. This is also confirmed by your apt-cache policy, you'll
see you have jammy/* and jammy-security/* but not jammy-updates/*. So
you get the security updates, but not the regular updates.

What you could try is go to `software-properties-gtk` -> "Updates" ->
"Subscribed to". I suspect this is set to "Security updates only" and if
you switch to "All updates" I believe this should enabled jammy/updates.
There might be other ways, but you want to check that you get jammy-
updates/* for the archives where you have jammy/* and jammy-security/*
enabled.

** Package changed: rtaudio (Ubuntu) => pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  librtaudio-dev has unresolvable dependencies on 22.04.2.

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  sudo apt install librtaudio-dev
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

   libpulse-dev : Depends: libpulse0 (= 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu1) but
1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
                  Depends: libpulse-mainloop-glib0 (= 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu1)
but 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 is to be installed

  I have no held packages.

  I have seen chatter around a project that depends on librtaudio-dev
  suggesting it is a package maintenance issue but not sure myself.