** Description changed:

  [Impact]
  gnome-shell gets removed on upgrades of gnome-shell and mutter if due to
phasing we can only upgrade src:gnome-shell.

  [Test plan]
  This adds a minimal test case to the test suite that reproduced the issue and
verifies the fix, test plan consists of the autopkgtests.

  [Where problems could occur]
  We could see a resurgence of bugs like LP#1990586 where the solver failed to
run at all because things got too complex, however this is a bit more unlikely
as we now use the by-keep resolver to handle rolling back phased updates.
+
+ We also saw an issue with a phased update's dependencies being installed
+ despite the phased update being hold back. We saw that both before in
+ `apt upgrade` and with the fix for this bug, we also introduced it to
+ `dist-upgrade`, but this is also fixed in these uploads, basically we
+ skip marking for install (which in turn caused me to discover we need to
+ check a different version).

  [Other Info]
  gnome-shell Depends: gnome-shell-common (= ${binary-Version), mutter (>=
matching)

  So when mutter cannot be updated due to phasing, gnome-shell becomes
  non-installable, but gnome-shell-common can be updated, so APT decided
  to remove gnome-shell and the meta packages in its infinite wisdom.

  The fix addresses this by resolving the dist-upgrade as if there were no
  phasing, and then retroactively marks phases for keep and then anything
  broken by that for keep.

  This required some restructuring because normally we'd also keep broken
  Recommends back, but here dist-upgrade may have decided that was ok, so
  we need to build an allowlist of where Recommends can be broken to avoid
  undoing unrelated changes.

  [Original bug report]

  This morning I got surprised by my laptop booting to a tty instead of a
  desktop environment. It turned out that the entire desktop environment
  was no longer present on my machine. Doing an apt install ubuntu-
  desktop-minimal resolved the issue.

  The machine had been running for a while. Looking at the apt logs, it
  looks like apt deleted ubuntu-desktop on its own during a dist-upgrade a
  couple of weeks back.

  Start-Date: 2023-06-08  14:20:46
  Commandline: apt dist-upgrade
  Requested-By: alex (1000)
  Upgrade: gnome-shell-common:amd64 (44.0-2ubuntu3, 44.1-0ubuntu1)
  Remove: gnome-shell:amd64 (44.0-2ubuntu3), ubuntu-desktop:amd64 (1.501),
gdm3:amd64 (44.0-1ubuntu1), gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng:amd64
(46+really47.0.2-3), gnome-shell-extension-appindicator:amd64 (53-1),
ubuntu-session:amd64 (44.0-1ubuntu1), gnome-shell-extension-manager:amd64
(0.4.0-1), gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock:amd64 (79ubuntu2.23.04.1),
ubuntu-desktop-minimal:amd64 (1.501)
  End-Date: 2023-06-08  14:20:48

  I'm using the following version of Ubuntu:
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      23.04
  Codename:     lunar

[...]

+ `dist-upgrade`, but this is also fixed and tested in these uploads,
[...]

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Apt deletes ubuntu-desktop during dist-upgrade

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in apt source package in Jammy:
  New
Status in apt source package in Kinetic:
  New
Status in apt source package in Lunar:
  New
Status in apt source package in Mantic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  gnome-shell gets removed on upgrades of gnome-shell and mutter if due to
phasing we can only upgrade src:gnome-shell.

  [Test plan]
  This adds a minimal test case to the test suite that reproduced the issue and
verifies the fix, test plan consists of the autopkgtests.

  [Where problems could occur]
  We could see a resurgence of bugs like LP#1990586 where the solver failed to
run at all because things got too complex, however this is a bit more unlikely
as we now use the by-keep resolver to handle rolling back phased updates.

  We also saw an issue with a phased update's dependencies being
  installed despite the phased update being hold back. We saw that both
  before in `apt upgrade` and with the fix for this bug, we also
  introduced it to `dist-upgrade`, but this is also fixed and tested in