Right, but exactly the same argument can be made about disallowing
anything other than plain ASCII characters in file names.  It may be
that in some graphical interfaces, spaces and accented characters and
special characters like "$" don't require any escaping whatsoever.   In
other command-line interfaces, they require escaping.  Shall we not
allow spaces when saving OpenOffice filenames because when you look at
the using the command line interface, you need to type something like:

/media/arena/Music/Coig/Carols/01\ Carol\ of\ the\ Celts.mp3

Sure, this might be "confusing to the uneducated user", but just go
ahead and file a bug against RipperX claiming that all such filenames
should prohibited.  I'll wait, and see what you get back from the
author....

If we are going to restrict labels and filenames to least common
denominators, then we can't allow any special characters, because the
"uneducated user" might not know how to type "è" on a US keyboard.
Where do we draw the line in terms of enforcing policy to protect the
"uneducated user" from themselves?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  won't warn neither prevent usage of « risky » characters in labels

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  if naming or renaming an EXT volume,

  e2label lets you use any character, including / or * or $ ( and
  probably others, like accented letters é è à )

  I'd expect at least a warning if such are to be found in a label name.

  Or better, it should not be possible to use those in label names.

  Example :

  a@p:~$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb12 /Ti\$*
  a@p:~$

  a@p:~$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb12
  /Ti$*
  a@p:~$

  a@p:~$ lsblk -fe7 | grep sdb12
  └─sdb12   ext4              1.0   /Ti$*
f583e9b0-f1de-438f-8da8-c1e070407628
  a@p:~$

  coming from https://forum.ubuntu-
  fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22692892#p22692892 ( french )