Frequently, when I just use the computer, the mouse cursor freezes, the
screen starts to flicker and freezes (screen flickers between entirely
black and desktop visible). No interaction possible. In most cases Ctrl-
Alt-Prnt-REISUB works to hard reboot the system.

Frequency: Freezes happen several times a day. Unsaved work is lost.

I noticed that:
* The freezes usually happen when an external display is connected (it does not
matter whether USB-C or HDMI). The freezes rarely happen when no external
display is connected.
* The freezes happen with Wayland and X11, with Ubuntu UI and Gnome Shell.
* The freezes happen randomly, but I have the feeling that they happen more
often when "something graphical" happens, e.g. when I go to the Gnome Shell
overview, desktop switching, or when I switch to/from full screen mode, click
on an image to scale it, or when I use map services in the web browser like
Google Maps or radio.garden.
* The freezes even more often happened when WebGL is active in Firefox or
Chomium.
* I encounter these annoying freezes already for several weeks.

Having looked at the log files, I assume that AMDGPU is at the core of
the problem.

System:
Ubuntu 23.04 (up to date), Wayland (freezes also happen with X11), Gnome 44.3.
Linux 6.2.0-31-generic
Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 1 (with most recent BIOS/UEFI 1.44), AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO
4750U with Radeon™ Graphics × 16.

** Affects: libdrm (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amdgpu bot-comment freeze
--
AMDGPU: Screen frequently and suddenly freezes. Hard reboot necessary. AMD Ryzen
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2033295