gnome-shell already ships an apport package hook which is installed in
/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/source_gnome-shell.py and that seems to
be debian/source_gnome-shell.py from the source package. It should be
relatively straight forward to modify that and an update to it is
something the SRU team would likely (I say likely due to the install
base of gnome-shell) as an stable release update to the package. It is
something the Ubuntu Release team would definitely accept as an update
post Feature Freeze.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Choosing "Try Ubuntu" on daily-legacy image produced a crash

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  I was booting up a daily-legacy image from 20230918 and received a
  crash report after choosing "Try Ubuntu".

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 23.10
  Package: gnome-shell 45~rc-0ubuntu3
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME