** Description changed:

  please add api to repack initramfs

- from the results of unpackinitramfs, including all early & main dirs
+ from the results of unpackinitramfs, including all early & main dirs.
+
+ Userstory: i want to tweak my initrd in-place by replacing broken
+ libc.so.6 with a patched one, I want to use unmkinitramfs, modify files
+ in main, repack it and boot it.
+
+ CLI:
+
+ $ unmkinitramfs /boot/initrd.img unpacked-initrd
+ $ ls unpacked-initrd/
+ early  early2  main
+ $ (edit things in unpacked-initrd/main/)
+ $ remkinitramfs unpacked-initrd patched-initrd.img
+
+ Where patched-initrd.img is now similar to /boot/initrd.img, apart from
+ the changed things.
+
+ I expect remkinitramfs like functionality that will take the output of
+ unmkinitramfs (e.g. unpacked-initrd/) directory as input, do
+ uncompressed cpio archives out of all the subdirs, make compressed cpio
+ archive out of main, and produce a patched-initrd.img that is ready for
+ booting.
+
+ It is very close to what mkinitramfs does, but skip calling all the
+ hooks to create things a fresh, and just do the final assembly step of
+ cpio and compression.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  please add api to repack initramfs

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu: