Hello, while [1] by itself is a straightforward patch, I don't think we
can acknowledge this to be a bug in in Ubuntu, given that you are trying
to use an Ubuntu packaged software using a manually compiled version of
a library it depends on. This is not a supported use case, so the
prerequisites for a SRU [2] are missing.

OpenSSL 3.0 has upstream support until 2026-09-07 [3], and even after
that the Ubuntu package will get security coverage from the Ubuntu
security team. Unless you have specific needs, I suggest sticking with
the Ubuntu packaged version of OpenSSL.

[1]
https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/commit/b7afd8a4ecaca8afd3179b55e9db79c0ff210237
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
[3] https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  Requesting Ubuntu package manager to release openssh updates to focal
  and jammy

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:

  We're are unable to test OpenSSL 3.1 versions on Ubuntu 22.04 and
  20.04 machines because the machine gets bricked and loses SSH after
  installation of OpenSSL 3.1.2.

  This is because SSHD gets restarted when OpenSSL 3.1 gets installed.
  But it fails to come up and we lose SSH access to the box.

  Debug logging on SSHD shows the below error when it tries to start :
  OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 30000020, you have 30100020

  After researching in online forums, it appears that this is an OpenSSH bug
and it's been fixed in version 9.4p1 and 9.5p1 via this fix :

https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/commit/b7afd8a4ecaca8afd3179b55e9db79c0ff210237

  However, it appears that only 8.9p1 version of openssh-client and
  openssh-server are available in Ubuntu packages.

  Requesting you to please release openssh versions 9.4p1 or 9.5p1 on
  Jammy and Focal which will help us move past this bug and start
  testing OpenSSL 3.1 for our use cases.

  Additional information about our environment:
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      22.04

  $ apt-cache policy openssh-server
  openssh-server: