** Also affects: ubuntu-meta (Ubuntu Lunar)

** Also affects: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Lunar)

** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Lunar)

** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Lunar)

** Changed in: ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Lunar)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Nick Rosbrook (enr0n)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  some text became unreadable during a distribution upgrade

Status in Ubuntu MATE:
  New
Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-meta source package in Lunar:
  New
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader source package in Lunar:
  In Progress
Status in ubuntu-meta source package in Mantic:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader source package in Mantic:

  [ Impact ]

   * On Ubuntu Mate with the Lunar series, when running
     ubuntu-release-upgrader, the displayed font of running
     applications (including the upgrader) becomes very corrupted.

   * This is not just a display problem, it is also a functional one.
     The release upgrader will have text corrupted to the point
     where a dialog asks a decision, and displays two buttons, but the
     text is unreadable and one has to guess which button is the one
     that carries out their desired action.

   * In the early parts of the upgrader tool, users are told in bold:
     "To prevent data loss close all open applications and documents."
     This is just before the "Start Upgrade" button is available.
     But they may not do so.  Many applications may have a corrupted
     font.

   * To address this, an additional environment variable is being
     passed along to pkexec, XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP, as this is the
     critical criteria for making the Mate version of the fix work.

   * Also in the change are
     * an update to tests
     * from pre-build.sh
       * an update of the mirrors.cfg, adding and removing several
         mirrors
       * a refresh of the po files

  [ Test Plan ]

   * acquire an Ubuntu Mate environment running Ubuntu Lunar on amd64

   * as user, run "update-manager -d"

   * monitor the "Distribution Upgrade" screen.  During the "Installing
     the upgrades" step (and mind that this step will be long), observe
     the text of the "Distribution Upgrade" screen and verify that the
     font does not corrupt.

   * Repeat the above for Ubuntu Desktop

  [ Where problems could occur ]

   * We are changing, at release time, ubuntu-release upgrader.  If we
     are careless, we could regress upgrades for a wider group of users
     than just Ubuntu Mate.  That said, it is believed that passing the
     additional XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP variable is relatively low risk.

  [ Other Info ]

   * TBD

  ---

  Original description:

  I was upgrading from Lunar to Mantic the other day and left a couple
  of applications open during the upgrade process. During the upgrade
  the text in audacious became unreadable (I'll attach a screenshot) and
  I seem to recall the title bar of Firefox being unreadable but the
  contents of web pages still being readable.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:23.10.5
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia zfs
  ApportVersion: 2.27.0-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Sep  8 15:39:27 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to mantic on 2023-09-06 (2 days ago)
  VarLogDistupgradeAptclonesystemstate.tar.gz: Error: command ['pkexec', 'cat',
'/var/log/dist-upgrade/apt-clone_system_state.tar.gz'] failed with exit code
126: Error executing command as another user: Request dismissed
  VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:

  mtime.conffile..etc.update-manager.meta-release:
  2021-05-27T16:30:16.970490