On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 07:36:16PM -0000, Jeremy Bícha wrote:
> What are the consequences of delaying NetworkManager's restart until
> reboot?

This is not an option on upgrade from <= 23.04 to >= 23.10 because the
postinst needs the new NetworkManager running for the connections migration.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network-manager SRU flags system for restart required but also
  restarted the service

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  After applying the network-manager SRU in mantic, I get a notification
  that a system restart is required to fully apply updates.

  This immediately raised a question, because I KNOW my network
  connection was restarted when the SRU was installed (I have a VPN that
  did not auto-reconnect).

  And I checked the state of the process - it was definitely restarted
  and is running from the binary currently on disk.

  The network-manager postinst has the following code:

          # request a reboot (NM tears down interfaces on restart
          # which is not the way we want to go)
          [ -x /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required ] && \
              /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required

  But the service restart is also happening. debian/rules currently has:

  override_dh_installsystemd:
          dh_installsystemd -pnetwork-manager --no-start
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service NetworkManager-wait-online.service
nm-priv-helper.service
          dh_installsystemd -pnetwork-manager --no-also NetworkManager.service

  No other systemd overrides. Nothing inhibits the restart of the
  service.

  It needs to be one or the other.  And if we're doing SRUs of network-
  manager, then this is bad UX for users applying their daily updates
  and should be fixed in SRU.

  Package: network-manager 1.44.2-1ubuntu1.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs
  ApportVersion: 2.27.0-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Oct 24 08:19:38 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  RebootRequiredPkgs: Error: path contained symlinks.
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to mantic on 2023-10-16 (8 days ago)
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW
WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN
   running  1.44.2   connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  missing  enabled