Removing that package "fonts-wine" (not purge) and rebooting, the fonts
used by websites (that were known to use the problematic fonts) look
actually good now!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  ttf-tahoma-replacement makes some web-sites look ugly

Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in wine1.2 package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: wine1.2

  This font package is good for wine 1.2; however, it also makes sites
  look ugly in Firefox and other browsers. I had to manually remove the
  fonts from /usr/share/fonts/ to rectfiy this, because removing the
  package through apt would have made me remove wine 1.2 and I didn't
  want that.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386