I think UEFI spec says to not check timestamps against current time. But
I am not sure it says it is ok to have signature time to be outside of
the cert validity. Which violates pkcs7 signature spec.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  PKCS7: Message signed outside of X.509 validity window

Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in sbsigntool package in Ubuntu:

  When signing UEFI applications, the signature includes signing
  timestamp.

  Kernels, upon kexec, check that message signature is within the
  validity of the X.509 signing certificate.

  When using original canonical kernel team test key, I no longer can
  kexec kernels, as the test key has expired.

  UEFI specifications in general ignore signing time.

  IMHO we should remove / not include signing timestamp in the UEFI
  signatures to avoid this.

  ---

  i guess openssl needs to provide ability to create signatures without
  signingtime attribute.