Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Provide an option to avoid the yaml NM backend

Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, recently netplan added support for a yaml NM backend:

  https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/call-for-testing-networkmanager-yaml-
  settings/32420

  The rationale is that "the descriptive YAML layer is especially useful
  in cloud environments":

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/merge_requests/556

  It's great that you care about that user group!
  Please also care for the rest of us that do not use cloud environments!

  For example, I routinely review, clone, backup or even directly edit
  the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections files in my desktops and
  servers, in all distributions.

  Having an Ubuntu-specific way to do things will make things harder for
  me. I will have to learn a new Ubuntu-specific syntax, develop scripts
  and methods to convert my connections between distributions, I will
  need to discover and report bugs in the netplan <=> nm mapping etc...

  I.e. Ubuntu is great for the cloud, and it's awesome that you want to provide
a unified yaml-based experience for cloud-init etc.
  But Ubuntu is also great outside the cloud; please allow us to continue
having a unified experience between distributions (i.e. directly using nm or
systemd-networkd) without enforcing an Ubuntu-specific way of doing things
(netplan) to us.

  For Ubuntu 24.04+, please provide an option to avoid the yaml NM
  backend, thank you very much!