Hi Utkarsh,

Thanks for looking into this.

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 at 17:04, Utkarsh Gupta
<mp+456...@code.launchpad.net> wrote:

> Review: Needs Information
>
> Hey there!
>
> Thanks for raising this much, much appreciated. This is great as-is but here
> are some points that'd make it EVEN better:
>
> -
> https://git.launchpad.net/~sudipmuk/ubuntu/+source/zeitgeist/commit/?id=95fd328c45f72fa0f3895900216ad0726e86139e
>  -> it misses the DEP-3 headers. I am aware that you're just rebasing the new
> version and you're not really adding the patch itself. But whilst at it, if
> you could really add DEP-3 headers to a patch, that'd be EXCELLENT!

I could not find any bug report which might explain this patch. Seems
to be an Ubuntu specific patch and introduced in
zeitgeist_0.9.14-0ubuntu1.

> See:
> https://git.launchpad.net/~sudipmuk/ubuntu/+source/zeitgeist/commit/?id=a6cff2e5ac675b90cc574a26dc953f452aa9a00c
>  for example. It has the DEP-3 headers and tells me why it's needed, some bug
> history, et al.
>
> I generally look at it because sometimes we shouldn't really be merging stuff
> as-is and carry-forwarding the tech-debt but actively be looking at drop the
> delta wherever and whenever possible.
>
> Now, OTOH, look at
> https://git.launchpad.net/~sudipmuk/ubuntu/+source/zeitgeist/commit/?id=e940d9763d0fba97dc8504ed382e01210a43f08d
>  -> it gives me a quick description but doesn't tell me if it's coming from
> upstream or was it written by downstream, is there an upstream bug? a
> downstream bug? or? and I spend my time looking at things, et al. That's why
> DEP-3 headers are really useful.

This one seems to fix LP: #962265 but I could not find a way to be
sure and so not confident enough to add DEP-3 headers to the patch.
Again, this also was introduced in zeitgeist_0.9.14-0ubuntu1.

> -
> https://git.launchpad.net/~sudipmuk/ubuntu/+source/zeitgeist/commit/?id=2ab99989a22d2e07bfc28e5eae942bd8283c1aa7
>  -> did you verify if that's still needed? why? :)

Yes, this is still needed. My initial build failed as I did not have
this one disabled. I have done a diff of the buildinfo and saw there
are version mismatch of many packages between Debian and Ubuntu. One
of the mismatch is still causing the issue in Ubuntu, but I don't know
which one yet.

--
Regards
Sudip

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to zeitgeist in Ubuntu.

  Please merge zeitgeist 1.0.4-5 (universe) from Debian unstable (main)

Status in zeitgeist package in Ubuntu:

  Please merge zeitgeist 1.0.4-5 (universe) from Debian unstable (main)

  Explanation of the Ubuntu delta:

  Carry forward three previous Ubuntu specific patch.
  1. add_datahub_autostart_delay.patch
  2. nodisplay_autostart.patch
  3. pre_populator.patch

  Extra change for this version:

  The monitor-test was skipped in the previous version as it was
  failing. That test has now been enabled in Debian but is still failing
  in Ubuntu. And, so the extra change for this version was to disable it
  for now.