November 16 was 2 days after livecd-rootfs 24.04.4 landed in the noble
release pocket, superseding 24.04.2.

The code delta between 24.04.2 and 24.04.4 includes removal of support
for "legacy" images (SUBPROJECT=legacy) which doesn't apply here; and
some reorganization of code related to "preinstalled" images which could
affect the riscv64+generic image, that is a preinstalled image using the
cpc project, but there were no code changes touching any of the image
partitioning code so it's unclear how those code changes could have
introduced this bug.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  livecd-rootfs uses losetup -P for theoretically reliable/synchronous
  partition setup but it's not reliable in noble

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in livecd-rootfs package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:

  In mantic, we migrated livecd-rootfs to use losetup -P instead of
  kpartx, with the expectation that this would give us a reliable, race-
  free way of loop-mounting partitions from a disk image during image
  build.

  In noble, we are finding that it is no longer reliable, and in fact
  fails rather often.

  It is most noticeable with riscv64 builds, which is the architecture
  where we most frequently ran into problems before with kpartx.  The
  first riscv64+generic build in noble where the expected loop partition
  device is not available is

    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  cdimage/+livefs/ubuntu/noble/cpc/+build/531790

  The failure is however not unique to riscv64, and the autopkgtest for
  the latest version of livecd-rootfs (24.04.7) - an update that
  specifically tries to add more debugging code for this scenario - has
  also failed on ppc64el.

    https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/l/livecd-
  rootfs/noble/ppc64el

  The first failure happened on November 16.  While there has been an
  update to the util-linux package in noble, this did not land until
  November 23.