So I managed to create a tar file with an extended attribute name of
length of ~ 999936 bytes long (the largest I can do without exceeding
the existing check on maximum extended header lengths it seems) but this
is not able to trigger the vuln - so if you are able to share your PoC
that would be great.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tar in Ubuntu.

  A stack overflow in GNU Tar

Status in tar package in Ubuntu:

  A stack overflow vulnerability exists in GNU Tar up to including v1.34, as
far as I can see, Ubuntu is using v1.3.
  The bug exists in the function xattr_decoder() in xheader.c, where alloca()
is used and it may overflow the stack if a sufficiently long xattr key is used.
The vulnerability can be triggered when extracting a tar/pax archive that
contains such a long xattr key.

  Vulnerable code:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/tar.git/tree/src/xheader.c?h=release_1_34#n1723

  PoC tar archive is attached in a zip archive to reduce the size.

  I reported the vulnerability yesterday to GNU Tar maintainers and they
  replied that the issue was fixed in the version that was released two
  weeks ago:

  "Sergey fixed that bug here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/tar.git/commit/?id=a339f05cd269013fa133d2f148d73f6f7d4247e4

  and the fix appears in tar 1.35, released July 18.
  "