Hello,

I was able to find a similar issue on the bluez github here
(https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/673) and after investigating a
bit further, I am able to get things working on the current update from
Canonical if I pair the device using bluetoothctl instead of with
blueman. Instructions on how to do that are in this
(https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/673#issuecomment-1849132576)
comment.

I think that this might be an issue with how blueman handles
authentication with gamepad devices, not with how bluez does.

** Bug watch added: github.com/bluez/bluez/issues #673
   https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/673

** Package changed: bluez (Ubuntu) => blueman (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- [Regression] HID gamepad stopped working in 5.68-0ubuntu1.1
+ [Regression] HID gamepad stopped working when paired with blueman on bluez
5.68-0ubuntu1.1

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  [Regression] HID gamepad stopped working when paired with blueman on
  bluez 5.68-0ubuntu1.1

Status in blueman package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I updated from 5.68-0ubuntu1 to 5.68-0ubuntu1.1 and my bluetooth
  gamepad (8bitdo Pro 2) stopped working. It no longer was detected by
  various emulator software or by jstest-gtk. It stopped showing up in
  /dev/input/ as well.

  Here are the logs that I get on connection with the broken (new)
  version:

  Dec 10 13:12:23 laptop bluetoothd[6317]: src/profile.c:record_cb() Unable to
get Hands-Free Voice gateway SDP record: Host is down
  Dec 10 13:12:43 laptop bluetoothd[6317]:
profiles/input/device.c:ioctl_is_connected() Can't get HIDP connection info
  Dec 10 13:12:45 laptop bluetoothd[6317]:
profiles/input/device.c:hidp_add_connection() Rejected connection from !bonded
device E4:17:DE:AD:BE:EF

  Here are the logs that I get on connection with the old (working)
  version:

  Dec 10 13:37:17 laptop bluetoothd[7736]: src/profile.c:record_cb() Unable to
get Hands-Free Voice gateway SDP record: Host is down
  Dec 10 13:38:30 laptop bluetoothd[7736]:
profiles/input/device.c:ioctl_is_connected() Can't get HIDP connection info

  I think that the indicator of issues (or at least a red herring) is
  the "Rejected connection from !bonded device" line in the broken
  output. I've redacted my MAC address obviously.

  I think that two packages are involved with this and I am not quite
  sure where exactly the bug lives. I think that both the "bluez" and
  "bluez-obexd" packages are involved. If I mix the versions between
  these two, I get various different behaviors:

  bluez-obexd 1.1 and bluez 1.1 = broken behavior
  bluez-obexd 1 and bluez 1.1 = broken behavior
  bluez-obexd 1 and bluez 1 = working behavior
  bluez-obexd 1.1 and bluez 1 = unable to connect bluetooth device