Mathias,

So, this is a little hard to fix with the archive packages now and I'm
not sure where people are going with the 3.12 updates. I can get
python3.12 reasonably easily enough but debian/tests/control has:

# root unittests under python3
Tests: root-unittest
Depends: iptables,
         netbase,
         procps,
         sed,
         python3,
         python3-distutils
Restrictions: needs-root, allow-stderr, isolation-machine, build-needed,
rw-build-tree

# unittests under python3
Tests: unittest
Depends: iptables,
         netbase,
         procps,
         sed,
         python3,
         python3-distutils,
         dh-python,

Both of these are installing python3-distutils, but only one is
installing dh-python. dh-python depends on both python3-distutils and
python3-setuptools. Presumably dh-python is going to stop installing
python3-distutils? However, python3-setuptools *also* depends on
python3-distutils (which the setuptools package provides).

As it stands, ufw 0.36.2-3 builds fine with what is in noble now and
should in what is in noble-proposed now (indeed, it passed its
autopkgtests and migrated recently).

Where was this test result coming from? What is the goal of that build?
Since the autopkgtests are declaring that python3-distutils be
installed, we shouldn't be getting the the error since it should be
there.

I can create an artificial situation and do 'sudo dpkg --force-depends
--purge python3-distutils' (but is this even valid?) but even in that
situation, python3-setuptools in the archive being installed still
allows the import to work. Only if I do 'sudo dpkg --force-depends
--purge python3-distutils python3-setuptools' can I reproduce the import
error, but the fix is to use python3-setuptools....

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ufw in Ubuntu.

  ufw ftbfs with Python 3.12 as default

Status in ufw:
  Fix Committed
Status in ufw package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ufw package in Debian:

  ERROR: test_ufwcommand_parse
(tests.unit.test_parser.ParserTestCase.test_ufwcommand_parse)
  Test UFWCommand.parse()
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/tests/unit/test_parser.py", line 88, in
test_ufwcommand_parse
      self.assertEquals('status', pr.action, "%s != 'status'" % (pr.action))
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  AttributeError: 'ParserTestCase' object has no attribute 'assertEquals'. Did
you mean: 'assertEqual'?

  ERROR: test_ufwcommand_rule_get_command
(tests.unit.test_parser.ParserTestCase.test_ufwcommand_rule_get_command)
  Test UFWCommand(Route)Rule.get_command()
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/tests/unit/test_parser.py", line 375, in
test_ufwcommand_rule_get_command
      self.assertEquals(len(errors), 0,
  AttributeError: 'ParserTestCase' object has no attribute 'assertEquals'. Did
you mean: 'assertEqual'?

  Ran 24 tests in 7.584s

  FAILED (errors=9)
  test_skeleton
  test_example (tests.unit.test_skeleton.SkeletonTestCase.test_example)
  Test example dummy test ... ok