On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 06:51:46PM -0000, Philip Roche wrote:
> @vorlon @jchittum @paelzer given the above findings are you still -1 on
> any snap preseeding? Based on the data, I vote not to preseed any snaps.

That is my position.  Thanks for bringing data to this!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Always preseed core and snapd snap in server seed

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-meta source package in Noble:

  In removing the LXD snap from preseeding in the server seed for Ubuntu
  24.04 as part LP #2051346 [1] we also removed the snapd snap and the
  core22 snap.

  This means that are subsequent snap install, like LXD, will take much
  longer than expected for a non minimized image.

  Time taken to install LXD snap using the lxd-installer package without
  snapd and core22 preinstalled/seeded

  ```
  ubuntu@cloudimg:~$ time sudo lxd --version
  Installing LXD snap, please be patient.
  5.19

  real  0m29.107s
  user  0m0.006s
  sys   0m0.005s
  ```

  Time taken to install LXD snap using the lxd-installer package with
  snapd and core22 already installed.

  ```
  ubuntu@cloudimg:~$ time sudo lxd --version
  Installing LXD snap, please be patient.
  5.19

  real  0m15.034s
  user  0m0.005s
  sys   0m0.005s
  ```

  This is a significant difference and for a workload we intend to
  remain as a core tested and tracked workload. As such I propose we re-
  introduce core22 and snapd snaps to our seed.

  LXD do intend to move to the core24 snap as their base as I'm sure
  snapd does too so when that does happen we need to update the
  preseeded core snap.

  This bug is to track the work of making that change in the server seed
  @ https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-
  seeds/+git/ubuntu/tree/server#n69

  [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/2051346