** Description changed:

  [Impact]
  The last couple of days, I have been unable to run a successful debootstrap
for Noble Numbat.

  Apparently this is caused by the addition of symlinks (/bin, /lib,
  /lib64 and /sbin) in base-files 13ubuntu7. According to debootstrap.log,
  it fails to extract said symlinks because they already exist at that
  point.

  This can be reproduced on build hosts running Jammy Jellyfish against
  any up-to-date Ubuntu public archive mirror as of today.

  # lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      22.04
  Codename:     jammy

  # apt-cache policy debootstrap
  debootstrap:
    Installed: 1.0.126+nmu1ubuntu0.5
    Candidate: 1.0.126+nmu1ubuntu0.5
    Version table:
   *** 1.0.126+nmu1ubuntu0.5 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.0.126+nmu1 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main i386 Packages

  Attached shell output of two runs of debootstrap. First run uses mirror
  archive.ubuntu.com (which as of this report serves base-files version
  13ubuntu7), and second run uses a local custom mirror (which serves
  base-files 13ubuntu6). First run fails, second run succeeds.

  [Test plan]
  Successfully for each of focal, jammy, mantic, noble
  - debootstrap
- - mksbuild
- - pbuilder whatever chroot management tool it has
+ - mk-sbuild
+ - pbuilder-dist $release create
  - ubuntu-image, if we can pull debootstrap from proposed for this

  as well as

  - debootstrap noble --merged-usr
-

  [Where problems could occur]
  We do not anticipate any regressions as we replace the previous *) case for
usrmerge for post-hirsute with a new jammy|kinetic|lunar|mantic one, and the
new solution will only impact noble and onward.

  That said, this is a different approach than mantic and newer take, and
  a different approach than Debian takes, where they moved to merging
  post-extraction, even in stable releases.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to base-files in Ubuntu.

  Debootstrap fails for Noble with base-files 13ubuntu7

Status in base-files package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in debootstrap package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in debootstrap source package in Focal:
  In Progress
Status in debootstrap source package in Jammy:
  Fix Committed
Status in base-files source package in Mantic:
  New
Status in debootstrap source package in Mantic: