** No longer affects: ubuntu-ui-toolkit

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  XMLHttpRequest onreadystatechange never called when doing a post to
  certain https urls

Status in “ubuntu-ui-toolkit” package in Ubuntu:

  While attempting to write an application that required authenticating
  with a REST API, I discovered that when posting to the end point,
  onreadystatechange for the request object was never called. However,
  the same code worked fine in a web browser.

  I boiled down the code to the smallest sample that I could. Note that
  the code sample here will not work to log in the user, as I removed
  extraneous code to focus on the fact that onreadystatechange is never
  called. When this code is run in qml, the following output is
  produced. Notice that readystatechange is never invoked.

  [code]
  import QtQuick 2.0

  Rectangle
  {
      Component.onCompleted:
      {

          formPost("http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr";)
          formPost("https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr";)
          formPost("https://google.com";)
      }

      function formPost(location)
      {
          var req = new XMLHttpRequest();

          console.log("Posting to " + location)

          req.open("POST", location, true);

          req.onreadystatechange = function()
          {
           console.log("Ready state changed to " + req.readyState + " for " +
location)
           if (req.readyState == 4)
           {
               console.log("Data received for " + location)
           }
          }

          req.send(null);
      }

  }
  [/code]
  [output]
  Starting /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qmlscene...
  Posting to http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Posting to https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Posting to https://google.com
  Ready state changed to 2 for https://google.com
  Ready state changed to 3 for https://google.com
  Ready state changed to 4 for https://google.com
  Data received for https://google.com
  Ready state changed to 2 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Ready state changed to 3 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Ready state changed to 3 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Ready state changed to 3 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Ready state changed to 3 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Ready state changed to 4 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  Data received for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
  [/output]

  However, essentially the identical code in a browser does show that
  the https endpoint for npr does work. Note that when I include the
  proper credenitals, the code works in the browser, but in qml
  onreadystatechange is never called.

  [code]
  <HTML>
  <HEAD>
  <SCRIPT>
      function init()
      {
          formPost("http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr";)
          formPost("https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr";)
          formPost("https://google.com";)
      }

      function formPost(location)
      {
          var req = new XMLHttpRequest();

          console.log("Posting to " + location)

          req.open("POST", location, true);

          req.onreadystatechange = function()
          {
           console.log("Ready state changed to " + req.readyState + " for " +
location)
           if (req.readyState == 4)
           {
               console.log("Data received for " + location)
           }
          }

          req.send(null);
      }
  </SCRIPT>

  </HEAD>
  <BODY onload=init()>
  <P>Form post test</P>

  </BODY>
  </HTML>
  [/code]
  [output]
  Posting to http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr test.html:15
  Posting to https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr test.html:15
  Posting to https://google.com test.html:15
  XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr. No
'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
Origin 'null' is therefore not allowed access. test.html:1
  Ready state changed to 4 for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr
test.html:21
  Data received for http://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr test.html:24
  XMLHttpRequest cannot load https://google.com/. No
'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
Origin 'null' is therefore not allowed access. test.html:1
  Ready state changed to 4 for https://google.com test.html:21
  Data received for https://google.com test.html:24
  POST https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr 400 (Bad Request) test.html:28
  Ready state changed to 2 for https://api.npr.org/identity/v1/login/npr