I'm agreeing with desktop in following Fedora to bump to 1048576, the
precedence makes this safe, and this I consider this a bug fix for
crashing software and not a feature request.

** Changed in: procps (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: procps (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: procps (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: ubuntu

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to procps in Ubuntu.

  Some Games are crashing linked to a vm_max_map_count too low

Status in gamemode package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in procps package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Hello there,

  I submit this request to improve the gaming experience in ubuntu for all
users.
  Today, Hogwarts Legacy, Star Citizen and few more games are crashing or just
not starting because the vm_max_map_count is locked at 65530. If we change this
value to a value > 200000, all games are working well and there is no bug
linked to maps.

  Some others distribution like Fedora or Pop OS, have already made the
  change few month before.

  It's time to Ubuntu to makes the change also.

  Thanks in advance for applying this request.

  How to make this change :

  One file to modify :
  /etc/sysctl.conf
  Add this line :