** Changed in: tzdata (Ubuntu Kinetic)

** No longer affects: tzdata (Ubuntu Kinetic)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tzdata in Ubuntu.

  tzdata update keeps changing my timezone

Status in tzdata package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in tzdata source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in tzdata source package in Focal:
  New
Status in tzdata source package in Jammy:
  New
Status in tzdata package in Debian:

  [ Impact ]

  Users can select some time zones in debconf that the tzdata debconf
  script will replace on the next run. See "Original report" for more
  explanation. Either those time zones should not be selectable in
  debconf or they should not be replaced.

  [ Test Plan ]

  Select US/Central as time zone and run dpkg-reconfigure:

  ```
  sudo ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central /etc/localtime
  echo "US/Central" | sudo tee /etc/timezone
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive tzdata
  ```

  The output of dpkg-reconfigure should say that the current default
  time zone is still US/Central.

  Besides this manual test, test_timezone_conversions is backported to
  check that there are no timezones which can be selected, but will be
  converted.

  [ Where problems could occur ]

  Besides added tests, the debconf part of tzdata is touched and could
  cause issues. The change does not touch the actual timezones.

  [ Original report ]

  Other than the fact that Chicago, Illinois is in US Central Timezone,
  I have no relationship to Chicago.  I am not in Chicago. I do not want
  to be in Chicago. I am in the Central Timezone. I am physically closer
  to other cities mentioned in tzdata. Selecting America/Chicago versus
  US/Central is not easier for me nor is it more intuitive.  I
  understand that the upstream tzdata package goes a long way in
  documenting all of the weirdness associated with timezones and
  different localities' treatment of timezones and daylight "savings"
  time. However, from an end-user perspective, the distribution should
  place no special importance or preference on one timezone
  specification or another. Likewise, if a user chooses a timezone, the
  system should never change it.

  To reproduce the issue:

  # Manually select US/Central
  me@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
  [sudo] password for me:

  Current default time zone: 'US/Central'
  Local time is now:      Wed Apr 27 16:05:02 CDT 2011.
  Universal Time is now:  Wed Apr 27 21:05:02 UTC 2011.

  # Validation that selection was accepted
  me@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/timezone
  US/Central

  me@ubuntu:~$ md5sum /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central
  6540624294b1193e22ed7a15692f2de7  /etc/localtime
  6540624294b1193e22ed7a15692f2de7  /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central

  me@ubuntu:~$ debconf-show tzdata
  debconf: DbDriver "passwords" warning: could not open
/var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat: Permission denied
    tzdata/Zones/Australia:
  * tzdata/Zones/US: Central
    tzdata/Zones/Asia:
  * tzdata/Zones/Etc: UTC
    tzdata/Zones/SystemV:
    tzdata/Zones/Arctic:
    tzdata/Zones/Pacific:
    tzdata/Zones/Antarctica:
    tzdata/Zones/Europe:
    tzdata/Zones/Africa:
  * tzdata/Zones/America: Chicago
  * tzdata/Areas: US
    tzdata/Zones/Atlantic:
    tzdata/Zones/Indian:

  # Force the package to reinstall
  me@ubuntu:~$ aptitude reinstall tzdata
  The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
    tzdata
  0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
  Need to get 0 B/658 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
  Preconfiguring packages ...
  (Reading database ... 168356 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to replace tzdata 2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04 (using
.../tzdata_2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04_all.deb) ...
  Unpacking replacement tzdata ...
  Setting up tzdata (2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04) ...

  Current default time zone: 'America/Chicago'
  Local time is now:      Wed Apr 27 16:05:22 CDT 2011.
  Universal Time is now:  Wed Apr 27 21:05:22 UTC 2011.
  Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.

  # Now previous indicators are reset to America/Chicago instead of
  US/Central

  Package: tzdata 2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Date: Wed Apr 27 15:54:33 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
  SourcePackage: tzdata
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-10 (17 days ago)