Its not just that app images don't have a default path, we can handle
that as well. It is that user namespaces have become a privileged
operation, and the user must take some privileged action to allow
applications to use them.

That can be any of
- moving the application into a well known privileged location that has a
profile already associated with it.
- creating a profile for the application where it is installed in their
unprivileged location. This is currently allowed but problematic in that
unprivileged code code potentially write to it and we are not currently
restricting unprivileged applications from writing these locations. But that
will come
- tagging the application with the correct security label.

The important part is the user must take a privileged action to allow
applications that are using user namespaces to gain privilege. Note,
applications that use user namespaces that don't require privilege are
allowed, its only applications that require privilege within the user
namespace.

Unfortunately appimages that use use namespaces need the user to take
one of the above privileged actions. And unfortunately Ubuntu can not
"fix" this without disabling the protection. There are plans to improve
the user experience and make this easier for users to do, but atm it is
a manual process.

The instructions provided by Seth will enable you to get the appimage
running.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  PHPStorm crashes when opening a project

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  Filing mostly in case anyone else hits this and is looking for
  workarounds:

  Since the Update to 24.04 PHPStorm crashes on open for me. I think
  when it tries to preview a markdown file, like a README.md which is
  shown when opening a project.

  ```
  [0309/094602.913394:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox
helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run
without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that
/home/user/bin/phpstorm/jbr/lib/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode
4755.
  ```

  Workaround 1 (wont persist reboots, needs root):

  sudo sysctl -w kernel.apparmor_restrict_unprivileged_unconfined=0
  sudo sysctl -w kernel.apparmor_restrict_unprivileged_userns=0

  Workaround 2 (persists and doesn't need root):

  thanks to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-313202/IDE-
  crashes-due-to-chrome-sandbox-is-owned-by-root-and-has-mode-error-
  when-IDE-is-launching-the-JCEF-in-a-
  sandbox#focus=Comments-27-7059083.0-0

  * Run `<path-to-phpstorm>/bin/phpstorm.sh dontReopenProjects` (to avoid it
crashing on start)
  * ctrl+shift+a
  * type "Registry..." and select it
  * disable the "ide.browser.jcef.sandbox.enable" option
  * Restart phpstorm