This report raises an important question about the defaults and setup
for systemd-resolved. This was first raised in the following post a year
ago: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-
devel/2023-March/042499.html but as far as I can see remains unresolved.

This is an important issue for many and some clarity is required,
perhaps Lukas Märdian could update us? slyon @ ubuntu.com

** Package changed: ubuntu => systemd (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: avahi (Ubuntu)

  Ambiguity in mdns configuration

Status in avahi package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I recently failed to get a 22.04 and 23.04 running reliably in a
  network with a cheap Huawei fiber router which provides routing and
  DHCP, but does not offer a DNS service with a zone with DHCP hosts.
  Therefore, machines cannot find each other by DNS.

  Since mdns is designed to solve this problem (and I could remember
  that Ubuntu was dealing with such networks properly about 10 years
  ago), I tried to configure the machines to use mdns.

  I was not able to get things running, since there are collisions
  between systemd/resolved on one hand, and avahi daemon on the other,
  colliding both on the UDP port and the functionality.

  systemd/resolved are not really able to provide all services, but it
  is not possible to use avahi only either, since systemd/resolved is
  built so deeply into ubuntu, that it can't be removed or turned off
  without breaking lots of functionalities. Furthermore, I found systemd
  to be unreliable as an mdns resolver. Sometimes it works, sometimes it
  doesn't, sometimes it takes minutes.

  I would have expected that Ubuntu would drop avahi daemon after moving
  to systemd, but now I found that 24.04 still comes with avahi daemon
  and competing functionalities.

  E.g. avahi suggests to install libnss-mdns, while resolved wants mdns
  to be enabled in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and to handle it itself.

  So what is the suggested way to use Ubuntu in a network without proper
  DNS for DHCP-clients?

  systemd+resolved? avahi? both?

  I did not find any documentation about this, no simple configuration
  settings, no answer to the question how mdns should be used on Ubuntu
  since Ubuntu moved to systemd.

  Nobody seems to care.

  regards