This change made it into ubuntu-rtm/14.09 thus i'm not planning to backport
this to trusty.
If a need arises, the test case should be simple to construct and the
cherry-pick patch should be straight forward.
Any beginner to intermediate developer should be able to do this.

** Changed in: dbus (Ubuntu Trusty)
     Assignee: Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox) => (unassigned)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  Cannot login if ~/.cache is dead symlink

Status in “dbus” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “dbus” source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in “dbus” source package in Utopic:

  On Ubuntu 14.04, graphical logins fail if ~/.cache is a dead symlink.
  Only the background picture and the mouse cursor is shown during
  login, and nothing else is started. Console logins still work.

  This happens independently of the login manager (tested lightdm, gdm,
  and kdm) and the session (tested unity, gnome-shell, kde, and xfce).
  Therefore I guess upstart (the "init --user" process) is the problem,
  as it tries to log in to ~/.cache/upstart/.

  My version of upstart is 1.12.1-0ubuntu4.

  Steps to reproduce:

  mv .cache cache.bak
  ln -s /non-existent .cache
  Try logging in.

  I would expect that logging in just works without using the .cache
  directory in this case (e.g., not logging to .cache/upstart), or that
  the dead symlink would be silently removed and the directory created,
  or that an error message would appear and login would be aborted. The
  current situation is bad because it is very hard to find the cause of
  the login problem (I just stumbled upon it by accident).

  Package: upstart 1.12.1-0ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri May  2 19:42:54 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  SourcePackage: upstart
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-04-26 (6 days ago)
  UpstartBugCategory: Session
  UpstartRunningSessionCount: 1
  UpstartRunningSessionVersion: init (upstart 1.12.1)
  UpstartRunningSystemVersion: init (upstart 1.12.1)