We also have this problem on several machines, and I hope I can contribute to
getting it fixed.
Removing light-locker fixed the "double unlock" problem, but not this problem.
The machine is a fully up-to-date Ubuntu 14.04 with LDAP authentication.

The output of ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd is
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root shadow 35536 Jan 31  2014 /sbin/unix_chkpwd
I cannot post full auth.log because of personal data,
but I will try to remember to grap the last lines of the log the next time the
problem appears.

The problem occurs only randomly and not very often (maybe once per
week). It happens less often now that the "double unlock" problem is
fixed, I guess simply because I have to enter my password less often
now.

A reliable work around is to switch to a text console, login as the same user,
and run "unity --replace".
This restores the password input field. After unlocking, the panels are missing
but I can fix this by opening a terminal window and running "unity --replace"
there.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  After locking screen there is no input field to type password for
  unlock

Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity 7.2 series:
  Confirmed
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes (but not always) after locking the screen there is the
  situation not having any input field where I can type the password to
  unlock the session again. The shaded gray area simply does not have
  the input field. I can't do anything, I have to switch to text console
  and stop/start lightdm service to cure the problem loosing all of my
  session :(

  Package: unity 7.2.0+14.04.20140416-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
  CurrentDesktop: Unity