I tested the problem on an OVH VPS.
I couldn't get 14.10 to manifest an issue. I think it works.
I was unable to test 15.04.

Running "service udev start" results in this below.
 * udev requires hotplug support, not started
   ...fail!

I bypassed the issue last time by installing 12.04 and then upgrading to 14.04.
Also, 14.04 didn't give me a problem on my first OpenVS VPS install in
September 2014.

Thank you for your time.

  udev fails without devtmpfs and sysvinit in OpenVZ

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in systemd source package in Trusty:

  I'm running 14.04 LTS in an OpenVZ container.

  Upgrades failed today, due to failure to configure udev:
  $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Calculating upgrade... Done
  3 not fully installed or removed.
  After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
  Setting up udev (204-5ubuntu20.7) ...
   * udev requires hotplug support, not started
     ...fail!
  invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.
  dpkg: error processing package udev (--configure):
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of systemd-services:
   systemd-services depends on udev (>= 175-0ubuntu23); however:
    Package udev is not configured yet.

  dpkg: error processing package systemd-services (--configure):
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpam-systemd:amd64:
   libpam-systemd:amd64 depends on systemd-services (= 204-5ubuntu20.7);
however:
    Package systemd-services is not configured yet.

  dpkg: error processing package libpam-systemd:amd64 (--configure):
   udev
   systemd-services
   libpam-systemd:amd64