To explain the e2fsprogs git branch naming scheme in terms of Debian
releases:

*  maint == stable (and currently has a few bug fixes beyond what is in
1.42.12, although it's unlikely we will have a 1.42.13 release unless something
really serious comes up)
* master == testing (and has the inline data and metadata csum feature support)
* next == unstable (and every few days to 1-2 weeks master will get moved up to
the current unstable before I add new commits)
* pu == experimental (not currently active)

After 1.43 gets released, master will track 1.43 development for a
while, and then maint will get renamed oldmaint, maint will get reset to
master, and master and next will start tracking new development for the
eventual 1.44 release.

We have not decided yet whether mke2fs will create file systems with
metadata_csum and inline data by default in the 1.43 release series,
although the answer is "probably not", at least not at first.
Individual sysadmins can edit /etc/mke2fs.conf to change the defaults.

(File system developers tend to be *very* conservative, because while
users will tolerate kernel crashes, bugs that lead to data loss tend to
make end users very cranky indeed, and we try rather hard as a point of
pride not to avoid such eventualities.)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  -O inline_data not supported by Ubuntu e2fsprogs

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:

  Since kernel version 3.8, ext4 supports the file system option
  inline_data to put file content into the inode itself as an extended
  attribute. However, this feature cannot be enabled using the included
  e2fsprogs in Trusty Tahr. If it has been enabled for a file system,
  boot e2fsck fails.

  Support for this is currently being worked on upstream in
  https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git/log/?h=pu . Adding
  this bug to track when this is merged into mainline and/or the ubuntu
  e2fsprogs.