I still have this problem on Ubuntu 14.04.1 (originally 13.10).
I have the same .desktop files as Luigi R (comment #95), I haven't changed
anything in them.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  After minimizing an external media, clicking on the "Files" icon on
  the Launcher doesn't restore the minimized window, but opens a new one

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Triaged
Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  *******
   ISSUE
  *******

  HOW TO REPRODUCE

  1. Connect a removable media to the computer.
  2. On the launcher, click on the "Files" icon.
  3. On the left sidebar, click on the removable media icon or the trash.
  4. Minimize the window.
  5. Click on the "Files" icon.

  EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR

  - The Files window to be maximized.

  REAL BEHAVIOUR

  - A new window is opened.

  RELEVANT DETAILS

  - One way to navigate between windows at this moment is to use the
  "control + tabulation" key combination, or to click again on the
  "Files" icon so windows are exposed.

  Otherwise the minimized window Can be restored by clicking on the
  Volume's launcher icon or scrolling on the Files icon

  **********
   SOLUTION
  **********

  WORK-AROUND

  - On the launcher, left click on the "Files" icon and select the
  "unlock from Launcher" option.

  FIX

  - The launcher icon for "Files" to be treated the same way as if it
  was unlocked.

  REGRESSION POTENTIAL

  - Clicking on the "Files" icon won't send the user to its home folder,
  but to the latest opened Files window.

  ****************
   TECHNICAL INFO
  ****************

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-18-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Apr 19 11:33:13 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'814x493+136+38'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'182'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110426)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-04-14 (4 days ago)