Following a fresh install of Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 I had the surprise to
see blurry fonts showing up in gEdit (stock install), when the document
viewed is longer than a displayed vertical or horizontal page. I later
found it was reported as a bug in Launchpad as "blurry font as document
is longer than one page and scroll bars appear", see:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/1309785

This GTK+ 3.10.8 bug was reported as corrected in September 2014 in in
GTK+ 3.13.7 . However someone reported a work-around which consisted of
adding an "env" parameter to the Exec command line in the gedit.desktop
file.

# Exec=gedit %U
Exec=env GTK_DEBUG=no-pixel-cache gedit %U

It looks like the displayed information on a selected package in
Synaptic shows the same behavior i.e. Selecting package "0ad" will show
a perfect font rendering in the package info field. However selecting
package "0ad-data" which description is slightly longer and will not fit
in the panel window, will display then a blurred font.

I tried the same "env GTK_DEBUG=no-pixel-cache" to synaptic cmd. line
however this is not working.

Considering that Trusty 14.04 is a LTS release, does anyone knows which
env parameter would fix this bug ?

Package: synaptic 0.81.1ubuntu1 [modified:
usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop]
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-43.72-generic 3.13.11.11
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-43-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.6
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity