I'm suffering the same problem and I've applied the suggested upstream patch in
my personal PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~tanty/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

However, I don't think this is a proper fix for the problem I'm
observing.

When the problem was happening and tons of

error is "_xgeWireToEvent: Unknown extension 148, this should never
happen"

messages were spitted, everything was going much slower in the affected
application.

With the fix, the application now is mute about this problem but it is still
clearly slower. Hence, the error is still happening it is just that we are not
seeing the error messages any more.

Is this error a regression in libXext ?

In my case, I'm specially seeing it in a custom compilation of epiphany,
the GNOME Browser, from upstream. It seems to be affecting webkitgtk+

I've just upgraded from Trusty and I was not suffering this problem
before with the same custom compilation of epiphany.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libxext in Ubuntu.

  libxext fills up .xsession-errors log files

Status in libxext package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in libxext source package in Utopic:
  Confirmed
Status in libxext source package in Vivid:

  libxext can write debug output, and it can write so much of it that it
  fills up .xsession-errors t be several GB and fill up the hard disk
  (or the equivalent file with lightdm).

  error is "_xgeWireToEvent: Unknown extension 148, this should never
  happen"

  [TEST CASE]
  Install Plasma 5 on utopic
  Use it for a while
  Notice that ~/.xsession-errors is filling up saying "_xgeWireToEvent: Unknown
extension 148, this should never happen"

  with the new packages this will not happen