I'm going to mark this as "Opinion" because I think the behavior
described here is by design. There is a matrix of media profiles and
outputs that effects *which* volume is used. Basically media play back
and alarms (default when media isn't playing) have different volumes. So
when medias not playing, by pressing your hardware keys you're adjusting
the alarm volume. When it is playing, you're adjusting the multimedia
volume. The indicator shows the current volume profile being used.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Sound#Indicator_and_menu

** Changed in: indicator-sound (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-sound in Ubuntu.

  sound plays on speakers even when sound indicator is set to zero

Status in indicator-sound package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Steps:

  1. Turn sound via sound indicator to zero
  2. Open the music app and start playing a song

  Result:
  the song plays

  Expected:
  You cannot hear the song

  Note that if you adjust the volume via the hardware buttons, the
  indicator visibly changes, but the volume does not.

  This is image 185 on Krilin