With wifi associated to a fairly "busy" AP that produces regular beacon
intervals with CTS protection mode enabled and also phone data enabled
I'm seeing ~24+ hours on deep sleep idle.

With wifi enabled, I'm seeing ~7.5 wifi related wakeups per minute.  I
then disabled wifi and these wakeups disappear.  So the bottom line is
that wifi in deep sleep is the root cause of extraneous wakeups.  Now
depending on how busy the AP is and the kinds of packets, it may cause
more or less wakeups, hence different drain characteristics.

I'll recharge the phone and see how the wifi disabled case changes the
battery drain rate.

Attached is two-page spreadsheet of my drain results and also stats on
wakeups from deep sleep caused by wifi related wakeup events.

** Attachment added: "wifi related battery drain stats"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/powerd/+bug/1372413/+attachment/4299973/+files/mako-rtm-battery-drain-12hrs.ods

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to powerd in Ubuntu.

  Extensive battery drain on RTM

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  In Progress
Status in powerd package in Ubuntu:

  Mako, RTM 1

  Since upgrading to RTM the battery life is really poor. What used to
  be a battery drain of 5-10% per hour (which is still high) is now
  10-15% per hour. Sometimes the phone runs really hot, so there seem to
  be something going on in the background that is consuming power. I
  mostly have bluetooth, GPS (which isn't always working), wifi and
  cellular on, but that's no difference from when I was running 'devel-
  proposed' with MultiROM with much less battery consumption.

  As an example, I started with a full charge at 7am. After some web
  surfing (<15 mins) and watching a couple of youtube videos (on wifi)
  battery was down to 66% at 9:15. That's 34% in just over two hours! I
  recharged again before lunch and had the phone idle until coming back
  1 hour and 45 mins later to find only 75% of battery left, this time
  without the phone running particularly hot.