this hasn't been reproducible for me since a reinstall.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  systemd-journal: Failed to join audit multicast group: Operation not
  permitted

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading a snappy system from 211 to 219, I'm seeing the
  following errors at boot:

  [   88.772405] systemd-journald[704]: Failed to join audit multicast group:
Operation not permitted
  [   88.777304] systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.
  [   88.778311] systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service: main process exited,
code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
  [   88.778667] systemd[1]: Failed to start Journal Service.

  I've confirmed that a rollback to 211 fixes the problem.

  This makes it impossible to debug changes to snappy itself, since
  snappy logs to syslog which is only available via journalctl.