Can you try something for me? I'm wondering whether you're getting the
same thing I reported here that may be a part of another, earlier bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1375271/comments/8).

When you resume from suspend and find the system non-responsive, press
ctrl-alt-f1. If you get a text login screen, don't do anything on it,
but press ctrl-alt F7.  This should bring you back to the visual
session. Do you then get an unlock screen or a working desktop? If so,
it's probably the same issue I'm having (waiting to see if it should be
a new bug or a continuation of that old one).  If not, let me know
anyway just so I can cross it off the list.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pm-utils in Ubuntu.

  laptop unresponsive after suspend

Status in pm-utils package in Ubuntu:

  After suspend, the system becomes unresponsive. Fan keeps running,
  full reboot needed.

  In /var/log/pm-suspend.log the only error is:

  "Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such
  file or directory"

  Package: pm-utils 1.4.1-13ubuntu0.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.57-generic 3.13.11.4
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Jan 27 14:40:12 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: pm-utils