I have same problem - but I have NO SOUND if my HP ProBook 4510s is on
the batteries. This was fix problem, THANK YOU Reiner ;-)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  popping sound at 10s intervals when on battery power

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  This appears to be an old bug in kernel module snd_hda_intel (see
/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/powersave.txt and
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/388736-strange-pop-click-sound-speakers-every-time.html).
 Strangely however, I only observed this after upgrading to Precise AND
installation of a new battery in my T61p Thinkpad. In any case, turning off
Intel audio power saving works around the problem:
  In /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave
  change the line
  INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}
  INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=false

  I am only filing this bug report since finding the workaround for
  specifically Precise (and other recent Ubuntu distros) required a bit
  of time (to put 2 and 2 together). Hope others won't have to spend the
  time now.