** Description changed:

  This is a follow-on from bug 1375271(
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1375271 ), though
  it may actually implicate a different underlying problem.

  .

  Expectation --

  Given any one of the following actions:
   - (from active desktop session) choosing "lock" from the Unity Panel power
menu;
   - (from locked session with screen turned off): using mouse movement,
keystrokes, etc. to poke the screen awake; or
  - (from suspend) initiating a resume,

  ...the expected result is to display an interactive lockscreen where the
  active user's password can be entered to access the session. On this
  particular machine, which is a touch hybrid, the lockscreen also
  includes the Onboard soft keyboard.

  .

  Observed behavior --

  Instead of the lockscreen, each of these actions trigger the machine to
  display an image of the desktop/window session as it had been near the
  time of the lock or suspend.  The cursor is visible and can be moved.
  The Unity Panel and Launcher usually appear as normal, although
  sometimes they are missing.

  Nothing happens when the user attempts to interact with the visible
  session by mouse or keyboard input.  Keyboard input will actually be fed
  to the lockscreen's password entry window, however.  So blindly typing
  the password from the zombie GUI session image -- and then pressing
  "enter" -- will bring up an active, working session.

  TTY session logins are available by the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-
  alt-F[number].  After pulling up one of these login screens (without
  actually logging in), then returning with ctrl-alt-F7, the lockscreen
  appears as expected.

  .

  Regression timeframe:

  I believe this behavior began sometime during January 2015.

  .

  Replication:

  This unexpected behavior takes place almost every time one of the listed
  actions is taken.  During one period of testing on 2015-01-31, the bug
  disappeared for a few rounds of lock and unlock. However, it re-appeared
  shortly thereafter (I believe after the next restart or suspend-resume).

  .

  Video attachment:

  A 1-minute video (.webm, no audio) is attached showing one form of this
  bug (simple lock-unlock).  The main feed was taken from a smartphone,
  but the video also includes an inset of what SimpleScreenRecorder (SSR)
  "saw" during the process.

  On "lock", the actual screen became fully black. SSR, by contrast, recorded a
black screen that included a clock in the top-right.
  On mouse movement, the actual screen displayed the static image of the
GUI/desktop session. SSR, by contrast, recorded a delayed but normal lockscreen
appearing.

  .

  Security tag reasoning:

  This bug displays a snapshot of recent  screen contents from a user's
  GUI session even when the user has (actively or indirectly) locked the
  session.  It also prevents a user from turning on the screen to command
  a user switch, go into TTY, etc. without displaying an image of her
  private GUI session.

  .

  Current graphics-related system info:

  OEM: HP Envy x360 15t (convertible hybrid notebook)
  CPU/GPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4400
  OpenGL Core Profile version: 3.3 Mesa 10.5.0-devel
  OpenGL Extensions version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.0-devel
  OS: Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
  Kernel: 3.16.0-29 generic
  X Server: xorg-server 2:1.16.1.901-1ubuntu1~utopic1
- pixman version: 0.32.4
+ Pixman version: 0.32.4
+ Compiz version: 0.9.12

  Please let me know if there is further config information that would be
  helpful.

  .

  Upstream testing:

  This is a production machine. I am willing to test pre-release packages
  provided the testing configurations are easy to revert (such as upstream
  kernels).  I have been burned in the past with broken package systems
  and protracted  config repairs after testing experimental graphics and
  video driver software. But I would still be willing give it a shot if
  there is a simple and reliable process to roll back the changes.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  static image of desktop and windows displayed instead of lockscreen

Status in unity package in Ubuntu: