I'm getting exactly the same error scenario in a different environment.
I've had a setup working for months with:

  - Ubuntu Trusty LTS host
  - Ubuntu Trusty LTS guest
  - Libvirt from Trusty
  - LXC from Trusty (--connect lxc://)

I use debootstrap and chroot to prepare the base filesystem then I boot
using `virsh --connect lxc:// ...`. When I do `sudo apt-get dist-
upgrade` I get a non-zero exit code from procps failing to start as
above.  Jenkins is not happy :(

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lxc in Ubuntu.

  Can't upgrade procps in LXC 1.1

Status in lxc package in Ubuntu:

  LXC 1.1 on vivid has started giving privileged containers a read-only
  /sys, which prevents Ubuntu's procps Upstart job from starting. This
  isn't normally too problematic, except that the weekend's procps SRU's
  postinst tries to start the job and causes the upgrade to fail.

  Disabling the procps postinst makes apt usable again.