Hallo Brian
Your suspects about the desktop environement are right, this was originally an
Ubuntu desktop installation over wich I have installed the Ubuntu Kylin desktop
env.
Best regards

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  detect all packages as not genuine

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  Hallo
  In Vivid if I run apport-bug (pkg) it always return that is not a genuine
package:

  The problem cannot be reported:

  This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party
  package and try again.

  see attached screenshot.
  Set as critical because it represent a loss of informations in a test
environement ( eg: a medium user feel discouraged to report a bug)
  Thanks
  Fabio
  ---
  ApportLog:

  ApportVersion: 2.16.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu Kylin 14.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  Package: apport 2.16.1-0ubuntu2 [origin: Ubuntu]
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Tags: third-party-packages vivid
  Uname: Linux 3.18.0-13-generic x86_64
  UnreportableReason: This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any
third party package and try again.
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2015-01-10 (33 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True