A couple of comments...

First, this bug is overly broad...   The indicator on the phone does
work when WiFi or mobile data are connected, however there are some
other issues.

Regarding problems on touch.  Standard procedure is to include device
names and image #s.  Also, the indicator does work when WiFi or mobile
data are connected, which is different than what you describe on the
desktop.

Regarding the ifconfig errors, I have seen this error on krillin and
arale running the latest vivid-devel.  I haven't checked mako.  My
original thought was this was a kernel error, however if you're seeing
this on the desktop, it may be an issue with ifconfig itself ( part of
the net-tools package ).

My touch testing so far has shown similar errors on RTM and vivid-devel
with indicator-network icon latency ( see Bug #1339792 ), DNS taking too
long ( 10s - 1m ) to be re-established when switching  connections, and
routing table errors on arale and krillin ( vivid-devel-only ).   Of
these, only the last seems related to the NM upgrade as the first two
problems occur on RTM as well.

I've been tasked with focusing on networking debug this coming week.

As I'm not running vivid on my laptop, perhaps we keep this bug for the
desktop problem and try and determine what's actually going on before we
decide to cut & run? "Revert latest nm" is not a bug, it's a suggested
action and without first determining the root cause, is a bit drastic a
suggestion at this time...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Revert latest nm

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Since the latest nm, everything is completely broken...

  On desktop, when on ethertet and wifi, the applet displays nothing as
  connected; on the phone, no route is set, ifconfig fails badly and
  networking is completely broken as seen here:

  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ ifconfig
  hD���
  �: error fetching interface information: Device not found
  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ netstat -rn
  Kernel IP routing table
  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
  10.225.0.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 wlan1
  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ nmcli d
  DEVICE   TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
  ccmni1   ethernet  connected     ccmni1
  wlan1    wifi      connected     vip.latam
  ril_0    gsm       disconnected  --
  ccmni0   ethernet  unmanaged     --
  ccmni2   ethernet  unmanaged     --
  ifb0     ifb       unmanaged     --
  ifb1     ifb       unmanaged     --
  ip6tnl0  ip6tnl    unmanaged     --
  tunl0    ipip      unmanaged     --
  lo       loopback  unmanaged     --
  sit0     sit       unmanaged     --

  Please fix or revert!

  Package: network-manager 0.9.10.0-4ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.16.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Feb 17 19:48:41 2015
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" - Release amd64 (20141022.1)
  IpRoute:
   default via 10.225.220.1 dev wlan0  proto static  metric 1024
   10.0.3.0/24 dev lxcbr0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.0.3.1
   10.225.0.0/16 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.225.220.59
   169.254.0.0/16 dev lxcbr0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.122.0/24 dev virbr0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.122.1
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2014-11-17 (92 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2014-11-11T12:46:14.739895
  nmcli-nm: Error: command ['nmcli', '-f', 'all', 'nm'] failed with exit code
2: Error: Object 'nm' is unknown, try 'nmcli help'.